Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Eyes Wide Shut


This is an appalling experience that I had at the petrol station that I frequent. A couple of times before also I have felt that arre the indicator is hardly risen even after fuelling and have invariably blamed it on the ever rising petrol prices and soon forgotten about it the minute I have left the station. I have always been confident that I did check the zero before fuelling and the amount on the credit slip; 2 most important rules at the station.
Today however has changed it all. I gave my card and asked the guy to fill the petrol for Rs.700. To expedite the process as we are all in rush early morning, I glanced over checked zero, gave my nod and my credit card to the other attendant. The attendant came and stood next to my driving window almost blocking my view of the dispensing tank. I thought he wanted to swipe in front of me. I just glanced over my shoulder and looked back and saw this really weird and odd occurrence. The guy who was fuelling my car left my car, came over to the tank, stopped the dispense at Rs 508.58 and punched in Rs 700 on the key pad and that is what started reflecting on the screen. In that split of a second I jumped out of the car and told the guy swiping my card what the hell is happening I saw the reading as Rs 508 and then Rs 700. The guy instead of listening to me properly went on to punch the amount of Rs 700 and I told him to stop it else I wont sign. He stopped and I screamed to another fellow “whats going on?” he came and told me the most revealing thing he said “mam the last transaction will show up, don’t worry” but obviously he punched in something and the display including the price and petrol, was Rs 508. I was aghast at whatever was going on. It is then that he told me that the last transaction displays not only the amount but also the liters that have been dispensed. The 3rd attendant that had rushed to me when I was screaming told me that there was a problem in the tank and that the guy fuelling had told him. I re-screamed why I wasn’t told. But anyways I paid Rs 508 and drove off. Only to thank my stars that I looked back at the right moment, else I would have been taken for a royal ride.
I did not have enough time to fight with the manager and was shocked at what happened and I wonder how many times I had been fooled like this, and to think that I am a smart consumer. Bloody hell. This is a lesson that we should be more careful and responsible. The said petrol pump is Indian Oil’s Khyber Service Station, Panchsheel Enclave on BRT in Delhi.

No comments:

Post a Comment