Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Baker stole my coffee cup


I love my cup of coffee totally and absolutely black no sugar please. So when my when I grow up I wanna be a baker (this week it is this) son Arnaav chose to bake a coffee cake I was perplexed…I hadnt ever done it before. But well gave in to his pesterations (that’s a new mommy word) for the sake of some semblance of peace or was it a piece of coffee cake.
Well to give the chef her due we followed Nita Mehta’s recipes. I always find her recipes to be fool proof and easy to follow. So here goes the recipe and a step-by-step for my fellow drooling mums. It is a cake walk and a child of 9 can easily find his way around it with the help of a grown up obviously, since this one involves boiling coffee etc.
So slip into your aprons and have a go at this one.DSC05330
Ingredients:DSC05331
2cups flour (maida)
1 and half tsp baking powder
3 eggs yolks and whites separated ---Arnaav found this step really weird and not too appetizing Winking smile
1 cup butter (100 gm pack)
1 and 4th cups of sugar
2tbsps of coffee powder
2tbsp of rum (Mom is this cake ok for kids? hehe)
half tbsp of melon seeds (we didn’t have them so substituted with sunflower seeds by Tong Garden)
For Coffee Sauce you will need
1 tbsp coffee, one-fourth cup sugar, half cup water(mum u know water is made of hydrogen and oxygen), 1 tbsp butter ( I used only half), 1 tbsp cornflour dissolved in half cup water
OK so heres what to do with the arsenal now!
  1. mix sugar, coffee and water in a pan and heat till sugar dissolves. Keep aside to cool. add rum (optional).
  2. sieve flour with baking powderDSC05334
  3. beat egg whites till stiff and soft peaks are formedDSC05337
  4. beat butter and yolks till creamy
  5. add sugar-coffee syrup to butter and yolks mixture. add some seeds melon or sunflower. this is for the crunch.
  6. stir in sifted flour in 2 batches. mixDSC05340
  7. fold egg whites gently till well mixed. do this in 2 or 3 batches
  8. transfer to a greased and dusted tin. we used a loaf tin.
  9. bake in preheated oven at 180 deg for 40 minutes
  10. cool and transfer to a serving dish.DSC05346
Prepare the sauce by boiling half cup water with sugar, coffee and butter. simmer for a minute and then add in the dissolved cornflour paste and stir till it coats the spoon.DSC05348
Prick the cake all over with a fork and pour the sauce nicely over it and also let it flow down the sides too.DSC05352
Cut the cake with a suitably impressed dad and eat it too.DSC05354
By the way it was one of the most awesomest cake I have had.
Psst I see many cookery shows and not 1 chef says blah this hasn’t turned out nice Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment